http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/300-foot-columbus-statue-going-up-on-pr-coast-after-two-decade-odyssey-95570.html
TASK: Read the article and then answer the questions below. Copy the questions. Leave a space between each question & answer.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
DATE DUE: October 8, 2014
Evaluation: 15 points (15 response, 5 punctuality & following instructions)
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteI never heard about this news before but it’s very interesting what they’re thinking to do with this Columbus statue.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes I’m agree. It’s a good idea to get more tourism. However they need to have present the environment and all the factors that influences on this project.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I’m really surprised with the price of this statue. The government needs to do something so they get back that money somehow.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
Columbus it’s a very important man on the history because he was the one that discovered my island. I think that he deserves this honor with the Columbus Statue. I know that too much people don’t think like me, I know it’s too much money to make this project but like they said on this news, even the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower faced criticism. Always we have different opinion but nobody knows what’s going to happen until you try.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
They need to make a plan A and plan B. I think plan A should be just like the Statue of Liberty, a tourist place to go on a boat, something interesting to go like museum or something. The plan B should be a water park around the statue, including the statue on the attractions. Puerto Rico it’s a hot island almost all the year and the water parks are the number one place we want to go.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteNo, I never heard about this news before reading this article but a few years ago I went to Mayaguez and they had some parts of the statue but I didn’t know what all was about.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes I am agree with having this statue in Puerto Rico. I think it’s a good way to attract more tourism to the island and help the economy of Puerto Rico.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I found very interesting and surprising the height and complexity to get this statue erected. Even so I think it’s a good option having this statue in Puerto Rico.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (Minimum 2 sentences)
My opinion of Columbus it’s that he deserve this honor because he discovered us. All America was discovered by this man. With these 3 ships, the Pinta the Niña and Santa Maria he makes history and Puerto Rico needs to be grateful of his discovery.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
It could build attractions parks like Disney Land to attract tourist to the Island. I think it’s a good idea.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteNo, I had never heard of this news.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes, I agree to have this statue in Puerto Rico.
Yes, it is a good idea.
Because attracts tourism and as a symbol for this country.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I was surprised that it has run for the United States with no one wanted and have passed two decades without placing it somewhere.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
My opinion about Columbus is that it is very good that we have in Puerto Rico, as it symbolizes the discovery. I also like the idea because it promotes tourism and see the good and beautiful things in Puerto Rico, not only crime and bad things.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
I think that to attract more tourists should promote historical sites and touring in Puerto Rico and stop giving bad news about what is happening in Puerto Rico.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteNo.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes. Yes it’s a good idea. Because is part of the history of Puerto Rico
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
It will be the largest monument in the American hemisphere.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (Minimum 2 sentences)
Columbus was the greatest discover on the world. He also discovers Puerto Rico our island.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
The statue of Columbus and a museum of the travels of Columbus.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteIf I had heard about the statue of Christopher Columbus but many years ago more or less for the year 2000 when the mayor of Cataño was trying to install this statue in their town.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes I agree with this idea. Even more right now where you should draw more tourists to our country and our economy growing.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
What surprised me was the sheer size of the statue of Colon consisting of 300 feet and the estimated amount that the price for the project to a maximum of $ 20 million. Given that our economy is not the best.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
Cristobal Colon (Columbus) was a very important man to our history and discovered that our island of Puerto Rico which we should feel more than proud. In my personal opinion I understand that would be a great tribute to Columbus put his statue in his honor. This would increase tourism to our island and increasing our economy.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
Considering the Christopher Columbus statue would be of great importance and usefulness put together a museum statue topics related to the discovery of Puerto Rico and thus promote the education of Puerto Ricans about our history and foreigners.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteHonestly this is the first time I hear about this news.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
I think it would be a good idea to attract tourists and help the economy of the island.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
That surprised me the most was the amount of money the governor Pedro Roselló invested in bringing the statute to Puerto Rico.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
Columbus was a major in the history of Puerto Rico man. It was a commercial sailor and his travels discovered the island of Puerto Rico. He was a very intelligent and brave man. I think it's an honor to have a statue somewhere in the Puerto Rico because it represents the discovery of our country.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
The place where the statue is placed can be a family park and must include a specific place to educate tourists about the discovery of our country.
1 Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteNever
2 Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
I agree that this statue is in our island, as it is a good idea, this would bring tourists to our island and differentiate and grow the economy.
3 Specifically from the article What stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
Actually what surprised me about this article was the amount of money generated by this statue and meters.
4 What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
In my opinion I think that since cristobal colon was describuo to Puerto Rico who we should honor a statue like this. That is why it does not seem a bad idea that this statue is in Puerto Rico, other think it would help the economy in Puerto Rico and would attract tourists to the island.
5 What do you think Could Be done to Attract more tourists to this side of the island?
To attract people on this island we have historical things, so that people know to puerto rico as a tourist and beautiful country where you can find various things.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteI had never heard.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes I agree that this in Puerto Rico, yes it is a good idea, because it attracts tourism and more money enters the country.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I am surprised that a statue as big fence to be in Puerto Rico.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
My opinion about Columbus is that I like the idea that this here in Puerto Rico, and attracting tourism. In my opinion I think that statue will represent Puerto Rico.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
I think that to attract more tourists should promote the good of the culture of this country. They should also make different skills or sports that look globally.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteIf gets to hear about the statue in the news.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
If, I think, that is a good idea because Colon is part of the historical background of Puerto Rico. But also represents a negative investment for the country's economy.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I think the most surprising of the article is how costly that would the government of Puerto Rico. Also the height of the statue is somewhat exaggerated.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (Minimum 2 sentences)
In my opinion, we have other priorities, and that today the country's economy is at its worst moment owed for the bad decisions and mismanagement of the governors who have gone through this Island. I think the money should be used to contribute to unemployment or to improvements in the construction of this country.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
The main thing is to talk with hotel companies, to make adjustments to improve the costs and to attract more tourists. Puerto Rico has many attractions and beautiful places that many of us do not know, from what I understand you should invest a little more on advertising and obtain the recognition that our name gave to the world The Enchanted Island".
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteIf you had already heard this news, I read on the internet in a short article but only speaks Head Colon
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Yes, might be a good idea because it would be a tourist attraction.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I found excessive money spending 2.4 million dollars of the people of Puerto Rico.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
My opinion on that is very serious Columbus exaggerated. It is interesting to know who he was in life and all that he did but that statue is very large. His stature is a big thing to contemplate putting complete in one place.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
Make a passive park very close to so parents can share with your family and take pictures with this huge statue.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1 Have you ever heard of this story before reading this article? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of this news, it is the first time I read it.
2 Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
I do not see why not have her. It may be a good idea provided they have in mind the pros and cons. Because it can serve as a tourist attraction.
Specifically Articles 3 What stood out for you? In other words, what you find surprising?
What most caught my attention and I found surprising was that the politicians were fighting over her and the money they spent and spend knowing how the economy is these days.
4 What is your opinion about Columbus? (Minimum 2 sentences)
My opinion about Columbus is that I see the fact that much of the dispute over a statue when there are other more important things in this country. To give so much importance if it was the one that had all their slaves.
5 What do you think you could do more to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
Highlight its beauty as a people because it is little known to be known as the ghost town.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this articles ? If so, how ?
ReplyDeleteIf she had heard about, but never interested me in reading the history, due to the
Fact that in our times we spoke and said the most basic in the school, not paying
Attention, however today. I want to know a little about the history, always our
Parents told us hat blacks are those who have to works, wthat is a mistable,
Because it doesn't matter the race or sex, color, we have to work.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico ? Is a good idea ?
Why or why not ?
On the basic of the story read, would agree to that this sculpture is in our country,
Because it is our culture that would make a Puert Rico. Better with many tourists
And motivation of our hidden legends. It is a sad knowing tnat this sculpture
Enjoyed in another country, and legislators, did not decide when bring it nor the
valve, wich is why always rely on other countries and not our own.
3. What specificallly from the article stood out for you ? In other words, what did you
Find surprising.
I impact very much like to know that the legislators do not give importance to
Our things and that will have to come another country and have our we also
Have to put a high and thoroughly study our culture and we wil, find wonders
in Puerto Rico, and had we can enjoy our homeland and culture.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus ? (minimun 2 sentences ).
In my personal character is sad knowing that our island is hidden because of
the lack of orientation as it is a beatiful country full of many beatiful places to
enjoy in families and only we are dedicated to criticize and tarnish the image of
a beatiful Puerto Rico. Full of charms while others profit our history and
Sculptures. Let us , earn to allreciate what we have and let us be grateful.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the
island ?
It is able to attract tourists while preserving the environment and by allowing our
prevail in our country permit always our antiques that are our greatest treasure.
Do not allow everything in history.
1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I hear about this news.
2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Part of the statue can help the economy to the area for tourists to visit it but I think the government can spend that money on more important things than just a statue.
3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
I do not see anything interesting in this article is just a story of money that the government boot on things that are not necessary.
4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
He is famous for discovering America in one of his voyages of discovery. I think it's one of the best discoverers of history because he was the one who found us and he named Borinquen.
5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
I think that can be done Vegas style casino more tourists to come visit and spend their money on casino and help us financially.